Sunday, 3 April 2011

Thoughts for Mother's Day

In the UK and Ireland, Mother's Day falls on the fourth Sunday in Lent. Traditionally, it dates from Mothering Sunday, a 16th Century Christian practice where domestic servants were given the day off to, originally, return to their "Mother Church" and in later times to visit their mothers and other family members.

Fortunately, I spend time with my daughter every day of the year and the fourth Sunday in Lent is the same as any other day. It is my third Mother's Day as a mother. The only Mother's Day card I have ever had was one I bought myself for my first ever Mother's Day. She is still too young to buy me cards and presents herself (and hubby works away and doesn't buy cards anyway). But I don't mind. Her presence alone is enough for me.

We have had a lovely day today. Well, after the plumber had been to mend a leak! We've been to one of Lucinda's favourite places - Lotherton Hall Bird Gardens. It's somewhere we can spend a few hours of quality mummy and daughter time. Not that we can't spend quality time at home, but I love taking Lucinda out and seeing her excitement when she sees something new and interesting. Sharing experiences and learning together makes a strong parent/child relationship and that can happen on any day of the year.

Unfortunately, Mother's Day can also be a sad time, for people whose mums or children aren't around. I don't have any personal experience of this but can imagine it must be very difficult when cards and presents are prominently displayed in every shop. I hope all the happy memories of spending time together help those people through the day. I would like to let everyone whose Mother's Day is tinged with sadness know that my thoughts are with them and hope that their memories help them feel like they're not alone.
xxx
 
 
Link:
http://www.leeds.gov.uk/lothertonhall/

No comments:

Post a Comment